The incline push up is a functional pushing exercise. It develops core strength from maintaining a plank position while strengthening the chest, shoulders and arms.
- Stand facing a railing, counter, stairwell or other elevated surface.
- Place hands directly under the shoulders with feet shoulder width apart.
- Tighten the glutes, quads and abdominals to maintain plank position.
- Slowly lower by flexing at the elbows until the elbows touch the ribcage as shown. Hold for 1-2 seconds.
- Return to starting position and repeat for prescribed number of repetitions.
- Lower the height of the elevated surface to increase the strength demands placed on the chest, shoulders and arms. Stairs work great for this exercise, as you can drop to a lower step as the exercise gets too easy.