The single leg calf raise exercise strengthens the medial gastrocnemius (calf) muscle.
- Place the right leg on the edge of step or other stable surface with the knee fully extended and the heel of the foot slightly to the outside of the toes.
- Push through the ball of the foot and big toe to raise the heel. Only go as high as possible without the foot coming out of alignment.
- Hold the top position for 1-2 seconds.
- Slowly lower your ankle, returning to the start position until a slight stretch is felt in the calf area and hold for 1-2 seconds.
- Perform for the prescribed number of repetitions
- Switch sides and repeat.