The SMR Anterior Tibialis Foam Roll exercise helps to restore the shin muscles to normal resting lengths. This is an effective flexibility exercise to reduce the pain of shin splints.
- Place the foam roller a few inches above the ankle joint and assume an elbow plank position.
- Elbows should be slightly below shoulders at the starting position.
- Slightly internally rotate the foot so that the muscle is on the roller, not the bone.
- Keeping the core engaged, slowly roll up the muscle from a few inches above the ankle to a few inches below the knee joint.
- Hold any tender spots for 30-90 seconds (try to relax and breathe deeply).
- Slowly roll back down to starting position.
- Repeat with left leg.