The SMR Biceps Femoris Foam Roll exercise focuses on the lateral muscles of the hamstrings (biceps femoris long head and biceps femoris short head).
- Place a foam roller just above the knee joint, hands at hips with fingers facing out.
- To increase compression, cross one leg over the other.
- To decrease compression, keep the other leg on the ground.
- Lift the hips off the ground keeping the chest up and shoulders down and back.
- Lean slightly to the right to place pressure on the outside of the back of the leg.
- Slowly roll up the lower third of the back of the leg.
- Hold any tender spots for 30-90 seconds (try to relax and breathe deeply).
- Slowly roll back down to starting position.
- Repeat with left leg.