The SMR Latissimus Dorsi Foam Roll exercise helps to improve range of motion in the shoulder joint.
- Lie on one side with arm extended overhead with the thumb pointing towards the ceiling.
- Place the foam roll at the base of the shoulder blade (approximately one hand width below the armpit).
- Slowly move up towards the armpit (stop before your get to the armpit) looking for any tender spots.
- You can also try moving the upper body slightly forward and backward (1-2 inches) looking for any additional tender spots.
- Hold 30-90 seconds on any tender spots.