The SMR Lumbar Erectors Handheld Roller exercise is an effective way to reduce tension in the lower back musculature without placing excess pressure on the lumbar spine from a foam roller.
- From a standing position, hold the stick horizontally across the lumbar spine.
- Apply pressure to one side so the roller is on the muscles to the one side of the spine (on the lumbar erectors, not the spine itself).
- Slowly roll up one side of the spine, staying relaxed.
- If you find a knot or tight spot, hold pressure for 30-90 seconds.
- Return to starting position and repeat on other side.