- Stand facing the wall or other stable surface, with legs in a staggered stance with both feet pointing straight ahead.
- Bend your arms as if doing a wall push up, maintaining a straight line from the heel of the back foot to the head until a stretch is felt in the back of the lower leg.
- In order to maximize the effectiveness of the calf stretch, tighten the gluteal and quadriceps muscles while keeping the rear heel on the ground with the foot pointed straight ahead.
- Hold for prescribed number of seconds.
- Repeat with opposite leg.
A common compensation when doing the gastrocnemius stretch is to allow the toes of the rear foot to rotate out as you move into the stretch. When looking at the back foot, it should be pointing straight ahead.