The step up to balance exercise develops strength and stabilization in the legs specific to uphill movement on the trail.
- Stand in front of a box with feet shoulders-width apart and pointing straight ahead.
- Step onto box with one leg, keeping toes pointing straight ahead and knee over top of the middle of the foot.
- Push through front heel to stand upright balancing on one leg. Straighten knee and hip to fully activate the glutes.
- Bring the other leg up by bending at the knee and pulling the foot up so that it is parallel with the ground.
- Hold prescribed number of seconds.
- Return lifted leg to the ground, followed by the opposite leg keeping toes and knee aligned.
- Repeat for prescribed number of repetitions.
Make it easier:
- Take out the balance, just do a step up.
- Decrease step height